- Define your objectives for your Facebook page (i.e. to generate new leads, offer customer service, increase your brand awareness, network or connect with fans). You need to know what you want to achieve by using Social Media.
- Choose the right type of Facebook page for your objective with the correct category and fill in the Basic Information section with as much pertinent information as possible.
- Choose a main promo photo for your profile photo (dimensions 180 x 180 pixels) that you’ll use for all your social media sites, as well as a dynamic and complementary cover photo (dimensions 851 x 315 pixels).
- Select a unique, catchy name for your Facebook page.
- Connect your page to Twitter by signing into your Facebook account and Twitter account at the same time. Go to https://www.facebook.com/twitter and follow instructions.
- Install customized Welcome apps on your Facebook page. Provide a compelling free offer to engage people and encourage them to LIKE your page (offer a free report, eBook, video, discount or coupon).
- Use a Reveal tab on your Welcome app (a reveal or “fan gate” will increase your likes by 20-30%). A reveal tab is a graphic that entices your visitor with a FREE offer but they have to “like” your page to get the free offer. I recommend the services of Michele Quinn of Fan Page Focus for this service: http://www.fanpagefocus.com.
- Link your employer on your personal profile to your fan page. Go to your personal profile or Timeline and click on the About link under your main profile photo. Click on Edit – Work and education – and type the name of your Facebook page in the box that asks, “Where have you worked?” A dialogue box should appear for your page. Click on it and it will be pulled in as your employer. Type in the title of your position and how long you’ve been in it, etc. This will create a live link on your Timeline that will direct people to your Facebook page.
- Ask questions on your Facebook page to get comments. Click on the Offer, Event + tab in the status update dialogue box and choose Question. Ask something. You can also add poll answers if you like.
10. Write fill in the blank sentences on your Facebook page to get comments; i.e. “If I could go anywhere in the world for my honeymoon, I’d go to ______________.”
11. Be consistent on your Facebook page and post regularly; i.e. at least once a day.
12. Exchange links. Team up with a friend and share your pages on each other’s pages and personal walls (and exchange likes for likes).
13. Participate in Facebook Fan Page Friday networking events.
14. Post a status update and invite people to check something out on your fan page.
15. Ask people to share your status update! It’s a proven fact that if you ask people directly to do something for you, they will be more likely to do it.
16. Incorporate status tagging. Share content from someone else’s page and give them the credit for it by typing the @ sign and then the name of the person or page that you wish to tag. A pop-up box will appear with suggestions as you begin to type. Click on the right one to pull it into your post and it becomes a live link.
17. Post photos! They have the highest weight or most virility so use them for 80% of posts. Text based status updates are also highly viral.
18. Change your cover image often. You can’t include your website URL, contact info or a direct call to action in your cover image, but you can use images, graphics & text to think of other ways to promote your business.
19. Pin your important posts to the top of your page. Do this by hovering your cursor over the top right corner of your post box and click on the pencil icon for Edit or Remove. Choose Pin to Top and your post will remain at the top of your page for 7 days or until you change it. Keep it fresh and rotate.
20. Highlight posts on your Facebook page. Do this by hovering your cursor over the top right corner of your post box and clicking on the star icon that says Highlight. This will make the post the full width of your Facebook page and it will really stand out.
21. Add more Milestones! Click on the Offer, Event + tab in the status update dialogue box and choose Milestone and fill in the information requested.
22. Add a Facebook Fan Box to your website. Link to plug-in: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box/
23. Install Facebook Comment Boxes. You can find out how to here: http://www.ruhanirabin.com/easy-steps-to-facebook-connect-comment-box-how-to/
24. Run a contest! Be sure to follow Facebook’s promotion guidelines at https://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php – use WildFire app – http://www.wildfireapp.com/
25. Make your own Facebook LIKE sign – http://www.whatcounts.com/fbsign/
26. Install a Fan of the Week app and offer prizes to the winners. Simply type Fan of the Week in the Search box and it will bring up the Fan of the Week for Pages app.
27. Get fans to tag photos of any live events you’ve attended or hosted and ask fans to tag themselves in the photos. Do this by clicking on the photo so that the photo appears in a larger format on the left side of the page and the description and comment boxes appear on the right side. Hover your cursor over the bottom of the photo and click on Tag Photo and then type your name in or the name of the person who is in the photo. If they’re your friend on Facebook, you’ll see a drop-down box to click on.
28. Do you use a newsletter to regularly market your business? Make sure that you’re including your links back to all of your social media profiles on every correspondence that you send out. If you use MailChimp or Constant Contact, you can install a customized app for those providers to your Facebook page. If not, you can use the Static Iframe Tab app.
29. Include a link on your business card to your Facebook page.
30. Did you know that you can shorten your Facebook URL by using fb.me or fb.com? For example; http:// http://www.fb.me/scullylovepromo or http://www.fb.com/scullylovepromo. Use the shortened version to save space on your business card!
31. Use WiseStamp to create an email signature that incorporates all of your social media icons with clickable links – http://www.wisestamp.com
32. Use your Facebook page link when you’re commenting on blogs.
33. Always provide a watermarked link on all your videos linking back to your Facebook page and/or include the link to your Facebook page in the description section of your video on YouTube at the very beginning of the description.
34. Understand Edgerank and use Edgerank Checker – http://edgerankchecker.com/
35. Use Facebook Insights to track results and analyze demographics. Insights can be found in the Admin Panel on your Facebook page. Click the link to See All to view them.
36. Monitor your insights! Find out which posts were the most popular and what countries and demographic that you’re popular with.
37. Use targeted Facebook ad campaigns – https://www.facebook.com/advertising – if you don’t know how to create one, Scully Love Promo can help you!
38. Use Promoted Posts! For as little as $5 you can promote a post on your Facebook page that will be seen by not only the people who have liked your page but also their friends. The post can be targeted and will be seen by fans in the top 3-4 countries that have liked your page. Promoted posts often result in additional likes for your page for a minimal investment.
39. Create Interest Lists and add the Facebook pages that you’ve liked to them so that you can keep track of them by keyword or subject.
40. Use a Google calendar to create a posting plan for your Facebook page for every day of the week.
41. Invite your Twitter fans to your Facebook page (include your FB URL in your Twitter bio). A great way to entice people to share your content is by giving them an opportunity for added exposure by offering them something in return; i.e. “It is PAGE sharing day! Come and share your PAGE URL on my fan page @ http://www.facebook.com/ScullyLovePromo.”
42. Invite your customers to your fan page – have stickers made that provide the URL and say “Like us on Facebook” that you can affix to every sales receipt.
43. Use Woobox to apply thumbnail photos to apps that have their own unique URL – http://www.woobox.com/
44. Check your Notifications. Try using http://www.hyperalerts.no/
45. Try special offers using the TabSite app.
46. Install the Suggest To Friends app.
47. For those of you are a bit more technically savvy, use Wildfire’s iFrames for Pages – http://www.insidefacebook.com/2011/03/07/wildfire-iframes-pages-welcome-tab/
48. Use Snagit, a screenshot program that captures video display and audio output. Get a tutorial here: http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-snagit.html
49. Use Likealzyer to gain insight into how you can improve engagement on your Facebook page: http://likealyzer.com/
50. Know where to seek Help on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/
NOTE: For a FREE downloaded PDF version of this post, go to www.facebook.com/ScullyLovePromo