Ann Vriend is a former spy. She had been working incognito for an undisclosed European agency, posing as a freelance journalist, when she met someone who was also a spy but for the other side. Against all odds, they fell in love and thus entered an increasingly complicated game of torn loyalties, dangerous, clandestine passion, and treacherous lies.
It is these experiences which inspired When We Were Spies; the exquisite baroque pop album by former agent Ann Vriend, an impressive collection of 11 moving, catchy pop songs; a richly layered, edgy yet tender declaration of bravery and love in a time of confusion and fear, produced by Juno nominated producer Douglas Romanow.
Before the album was pressed it had pre-sold 800 copies and garnered 4 star national reviews, including in NOW Magazine, A n E Magazine, and others.
Hovering perfectly between the accessibility of mainstream “pop” and a fresh, quirky writing and singing style all her own, ex-spy Vriend has crossed genres such as pop, rock, roots, electronica, cabaret, soul, and even tinges of alt country– all with humor and flare. This continues to allow her commercial radio hits while seamlessly fitting into the solo soft-seat theatre and festival circuit, celebrated by both Indie music fans and accomplished fellow musicians as much as listeners of mainstream radio. Her blend of originality with pop sounds is comparable to innovators such as Kate Bush, Regina Spector, Sarah Slean, and Feist. Her literary, poetic lyrics have likened her to Leonard Cohen and Paul Simon, and her honest voice shows hints of Dolly Parton’s clear, direct heartbreak, and Aretha Franklin’s stunning, exquisite soul.
With years of international performances under her belt Vriend has wowed audiences around the world with her well-known command as a solo performer, while with her accomplished, world class band unleashes a fuller sound with fervent passion.
Ann’s eclectic fan base is testimony to the fact on record and on stage, her talent lies in her ability to encompass the feelings of true music lovers of any sort. Fans from all walks of life agree, “This is one well-kept secret everyone should have access to.” — Pop Matters, March 2008
Leaked Info about Agent AV:
* over 10,000 albums sold independently
* headliner at Holzminden Jazz Festival (Germany), International Leonard Cohen Festival (Berlin), Cobargo Folk Music Festival (Australia), among others
* commissioned to write song for 2006 Commonwealth Games, Melbourne
* 3 singles on commercial radio, including Gold and heavy rotation, in hometown of Edmonton, AB (Canada)
* song placed in DVD release of hit TV series “Party of Five”
* recorded at Sony Studios (NYC), the Hit Factory (NYC), Magnet Vision Studios (LA), among others
* key performances include Port Fairy Folk Music Festival (AU), Edmonton and Calgary Folk Music Festivals (CAN), showcases at SXSW, NXNE, Folk Alliance, NYC venues such as CBCB’s, Fez, Rockwood Music Hall, Bottom End, international venues such as Debaser (Sweden), the Basement (AU), La Fleche D’or France), Canadian Embassies in Washington D.C. and Sydney, AU
* key publicity includes national TV appearances such as “Mornings with Keri Anne” (AU), Arte (France/Germany), and Good Morning Canada
* distribution in Germany (Glitterhouse), Australia (MGM)
Ann Vriend, solo: vocals, piano (or 88 key electronic keyboard when nec)
Band or duo option upon request. Full band consists of: drums, bass, guitar, organ/synth, 2 backup vocals, Ann on piano and lead vocals
— Soul Unravelling, 2003
— Modes of Transport, 2005, produced by Paul Brill, NYC
— The Clandestine EP, 2007
— When We Were Spies, 2008, produced by Juno nominated Douglas Romanow
Check out Ann’s new video for the title song from her latest album When We Were Spies and you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dvh-gij3C4
Ann Vriend’s music is available for purchase at: http://cdbaby.com/all/avmusic