FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
January 25, 2017
Canada’s genre-bending string slingers SULTANS OF STRING hit BILLBOARD CHARTS for their feast of ragas, reels ‘n’ rumbas, SUBCONTINENTAL DRIFT
[Toronto ON] Canada’s genre-bending string slingers SULTANS OF STRING hit the coveted Billboard Charts (World Music) for their feast of ragas, reels ‘n’ rumbas, Subcontinental Drift, featuring special guest/sitar master Anwar Khurshid (Oscar-winning Life of Pi).
“We are honored to make the Billboard Charts for our new album! We could not have achieved this without the support of the American roots community, fans and presenters alike,” states bandleader/violinist Chris McKhool. He adds, “Sharing this with Anwar is extra special. There is something magical about joining world music rhythms that we often play, but with pop sensibilities and forms and lengths, and blending that with the music of the East.”
Yet, Subcontinental Drift is more than a genre-hopping passport. It is a musical promise that embraces differences while finding common ground across culture, land, and time.
“Together we started writing songs about freedom and equality, and our hope of creating a better world. I feel in some way that these songs reflect our own personal journeys towards finding a world peace.”
The Billboard news comes on the heels of whirlwind North American and UK Subcontinental Drift tours, including a special Canada Day appearance organized by the High Commission at London’s Trafalgar Square. The album also hit #1 on Canada’s international/world charts, and the top 10 on CMJ in the U.S. It also got picked up there (CEN/SONY) and in Europe (Proper) for distribution.
The band returns to the US and UK this spring and summer and will make their debut in The Netherlands and mainland Europe this summer.
“Rakes of Mallow” (Raucous Indo-Celtic mash-up!)
“Enter The Gate” (Roots Country meets South Asia in this high energy fusion foot tapper)
“Blowin’ In The Wind” (Bollywood meets Bob in this Dylan classic)
“Sensational. Loved it.” ~ Peter Yarrow (Peter, Paul & Mary)
“Chris and the boys are fantastic!” ~ Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel)
“Sultans of String are so extraordinary and put on a sensational show—one of my favorite bands on the planet!” ~ Todd Barkan, Lincoln Center, NY
“You get the feeling this Willie & Lobo or Gypsy Kings taken to the next level of the game, sometimes all at once… a sure bet to notch a JUNO and any other award winning hardware to come its way.” ~ Midwest Record, Chicago
“Absolutely brilliant” ~ BBC Radio
- 2016 Canadian Folk Music Awards winners– World Music Group of the Year
- 2016 Global Music Awards – World Music / Beats
- 2015 JUNO nominees – Instrumental Album of the Year
- 2014 SiriusXM Independent Music Awards Winner – World Group of the Year
- 2013 ISC International Songwriting Competition Winner – Instrumental
- 2013 Festivals & Events – Performer of The Year
- 2013 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for bandleader Chris McKhool
- 2012 Canadian Folk Music Awards winners – World Music Group of the Year
- 2012 Festivals & Events – Entertainer of The Year
- 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition 2x Finalist – Instrumental & World Music
- 2010 JUNO Award Nominees – Instrumental Album of the Year