FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 20, 2017
3X JUNO Award Nominees SULTANS OF STRING release their 10th Anniversary Vinyl Retrospective, entitled 10
[Toronto ON] For the past 10 years, 2017 JUNO Award nominees and triple CFMA winners Sultans of String have thrilled audiences with their global sonic tapestry of Spanish Flamenco, Arabic folk, Gypsy-jazz, Cuban rhythms, South Asian and East Coast Celtic music, celebrating musical fusion and human creativity with warmth and virtuosity.
They are celebrating this decade of music making with a limited edition vinyl-only release, 10, featuring re-mastered cuts from their 5 CD catalogue,, as well as an unreleased track from their upcoming Christmas Caravan album.
Artist: Sultans of String
Release Date: May 5, 2017
Cat. #: MCK 2070
Pre-order available now: https://merchmrkt.com/music/10/
“We all grew up listening to vinyl, everything from Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd, to the great folk singers”, says bandleader/producer/violinist Chris McKhool. “I took a break for a number of years when CDs were all the rage, but came back to records a few years ago when exposing my daughter to cool music. There is something so special about the ritual of listening to vinyl– the sound, the smell, the feel of it. Time and space are put on hold, and I lose myself. After making and performing on countless CDs, we can now cross off making a vinyl album from our bucket list!”
Folk Radio UK recently described their music as “an enthralling, adventurous celebration of the power music has to transcend geographical and cultural boundaries, and Sultans of String wield that power with grace, eloquence, and spirit.” Indeed 10, is more than a global sonic tapestry. It is a musical promise that embraces differences while finding common ground across culture, land, and time. While the album treks across all kinds of musical terrain, the fertile soil beneath each track is fed by hope unhindered and freedom found.
At the core of the band’s sound is Queen’s Diamond Jubilee recipient Chris McKhool’s fiery fiddle, melded seamlessly with founding guitarist Kevin Laliberté’s (Jesse Cook) rumba rhythm — together their musical synergy created Sultans of String’s signature sound – the intimate and playful relationship between violin and guitar. Added to this rich foundation are core band members bass master Drew Birston (Chantal Kreviazuk), guitar wizard Eddie Paton (ReDuX:RMx), and Cuban percussion master Rosendo Chendy Leon (Alex Cuba). This album features special guest performances by Anwar Khurshid on sitar (Life of Pi, Love Guru), Andrew Collins on Mandolin (Foggy Hogtown Boys), Bassam Bishara on Oud, Ernie Tollar on Bansuri, The Chieftains’ Paddy Moloney on tin whistle, and a Turkish String Collective from Istanbul.
Sultans of String are celebrating their 10th anniversary crisscrossing North America and the UK. They have recently performed at many taste-making forums such as JUNOFest, legendary jazz club Birdland in NYC, and California’s hip music scene, including the San Jose Jazz Festival. They recently sold out Koerner Hall (Toronto’s Carnegie Hall) and performed with Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Maryland’s Annapolis Symphony Orchestras. Sultans of String have performed live on BBC TV, Irish National Radio, and the internationally syndicated shows WoodSongs, World Cafe, and on SiriusXM in Washington DC.
- Auyuittuq Sunrise (2:21) – From Yalla Yalla!
- Stomping at the Rex (3:23) – From Yalla Yalla! – Feat. Andrew Collins – mandolin
- El Kahira (3:32) – From Luna – Feat. Bassam Bishara – oud, Ernie Tollar – bansuri
- Luna (5:08) – From Symphony!
- Sable Island (4:45) – From Symphony! – Feat. Paddy Moloney tin whistle/Uilleann pipes
- Blowin’ In the Wind (3:42) – From Subcontinental Drift – Feat. Anwar Khurshid – sitar
- Enter the Gate (3:30) – From Subcontinental Drift – Feat. Anwar Khurshid – sitar
- Road to Kfarmishki (3:30) – From Subcontinental Drift – Feat. Anwar Khurshid – sitar
- Josie (3:17) – From Move
- Turkish Greensleeves (4:29) – From Christmas Caravan – Feat. Turkish String Collective
Included inside is an 8.5×11” full colour poster autographed by the band.
“Chris McKhool and the boys are fantastic.” ~ Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel)
“Sultans of String are so extraordinary and put on a sensational show—one of my favorite bands on the planet!” ~ Todd Barkan, Lincoln Center, NY
“You get the feeling this is Willie & Lobo or Gypsy Kings taken to the next level of the game, sometimes all at once… a sure bet to notch a JUNO and any other award winning hardware to come its way.” ~ Midwest Record, Chicago
“Sultans of String are one of Canada’s hottest new musical exports, dynamically embodying their homeland’s values of tolerance and respect for diverse cultures.” ~ International Celtic Connections Festival, UK
RECENT AWARDS / HIGHLIGHTS:
- 2017 JUNO Award Nominees – World Music
- 2017 American Billboard World Music Charts – #15
- 2016 Canada’s High Commission presents SOS at UK’s Trafalgar Square
- 2016 Canadian Folk Music Awards– World Music
- 2016 Global Music Awards– World Music / Beats
- 2015 International Songwriting Competition (ISC)
- 2015 JUNO Award Nominees for – Instrumental
- 2015 Toronto Independent Music Award – World Music
- 2010 JUNO Award Nominees – Instrumental
Media Inquiries and Interviews:
Lisa Weitz @ LW Communications 416-624-3466
or call bandleader Chris McKhool directly at 416-567-7110 (cell)